Saturday, August 9, 2014

One Big Zucchini!

Every summer I like to grow zucchini in my garden and it always does great so we eat a lot of grilled zucchini. I usually try to pick them before they get too big like this one:
I'm also training for a marathon so I have a big appetite and always feel like baking something so I thought I would try a clean zucchini bread recipe that I adapted from a couple different recipes.

Ingredients:


2 C 100% whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 C organic honey
1 1/2 C shredded zucchini

2 T organic coconut oil, melted
1/4 C organic, unsweetened apple sauce
1 whole egg 
1 egg white
3/4 C plain Greek yogurt
1/4 tsp almond extract

1 drop nutmeg essential oil (optional)

Directions: 
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Coat large loaf pan with coconut oil
  • In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda & cinnamon
  • In larger mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients
  • Using wooden spoon, stir flour mixture into wet mixture & blend well
  • Pour into loaf pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean
  • Cool before slicing




Results: 
My total baking time was 55 minutes and it turned out pretty good. It was pretty dense, but not too dry. It was not very sweet so next time I may add just a touch more honey or try using pure maple syrup instead. But overall for a clean version it was pretty darn good!




Since this recipe only called for 1.5 cup I still had a lot of zucchini left to use so I'm going to try a zucchini pizza crust later and if it turns out I'll share it too. 

And there was even some zucchini left to feed to the chickens! I love giving scraps to the chickens because it doesn't feel so wasteful plus it's extra nourishment so they can keep producing eggs for us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment