Sunday, August 17, 2014

Running makes me crave pizza!



I couldn't stop thinking about pizza on my long run this morning so there was no way I was getting through today without eating some! My zucchini pizza crust last week turned out really good so I thought I would try a cauliflower version today. There are dozens of recipes out there, this is the one that I mostly followed with just a few slight alterations.

Ingredients:

1 large head of cauliflower
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 C grated mozzarella cheese
1 egg + 1 egg white
2 T ground flax seed
1 t Italian Seasoning
1/2 t garlic powder

Directions:

  • Place baking stone in the oven & pre-heat to 450 degrees
  • Wash & dry cauliflower, then break off into florets
  • Pulse cauliflower in a food processor for 30-60 seconds until rice like texture
  • Transfer cauliflower to a microwave safe bowl, cover and cook 4 minutes
  • Pour cauliflower onto clean white dishtowel and allow to cool
  • Once cool enough to touch, ring out to remove as much water as possible, then transfer to a mixing bowl 
  • Add remaining ingredients to the cauliflower then mix together using hands
  • Place the "dough" on a sheet of aluminum foil sprayed with olive oil and press into a round crust
  • Place the crust still on the aluminum foil on the preheated baking stone
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes
  • Flip crust over and bake an additional 3-4 minutes, or until browned on both sides
  • Remove from oven & add your toppings 
  • Return to oven & bake another 8-10 minutes or to your liking

This is what the cauliflower will look like after microwaving
 

Rung out cauliflower



Pressed out into crust

Baked crust




Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella ~ my favorite!
Obviously I'm a fan of margarita pizza, especially in the summer when I have fresh tomatoes & basil, but you can top yours any way you like. If you top with meat just be sure it is pre-cooked. I liked this enough to eat over half of it myself (I did run almost 20 miles earlier today!) However I think I preferred the zucchini version I made last week.






No comments:

Post a Comment